Establishing an interoperable transport network in the region, including the Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) architecture, applications and services is essential for ensuring an integrated, safe, efficient, and environmentally sound mobility. To be effective and reach the maximum benefits, the national ITS solutions need to be put in place systematically and to be harmonised in line with the regional and European principles of the ITS deployment.
The kick-off meeting was held on 4 April 2022 to mark the start of CONNECTA’s sub-project ‘Technical Assistance for preparation of national ITS strategy for Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo* (all modes), Albania (railway and maritime) and Montenegro (railway) and deployment of road traffic management centers in Bosnia Herzegovina and Kosovo’.
This Technical Assistance (TA) will be composed of two components, with the specific objectives to
– Component 1: Prepare national ITS strategy for Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo* (all modes), Albania (railway and maritime) and Montenegro (railway); and
– Component 2: Develop an operational concept for Road Traffic Management Centers in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo.
The following results are expected to be achieved within the TA’s Components:
- Assessment of the current situation in terms of policy framework, legal approximation as per Annex I of Transport Community Treaty, institutional and technological framework
- Development of the vision to achieve harmonised national ITS Development and strategic objectives related to the operation, maintenance and planning of new infrastructure
- Development of Measures for achieving the strategic objectives and implementation of roadmap and monitoring indicators
- Carrying out a needs assessment as per the current and planned developments per each Regional Partner
- Preparing the functional requirements and system concept design for each Regional Partner including the main ITS components (Data collection, storage and processing, communication medium and interfaces)
- Preparing a cost breakdown including operation and maintenance per each Regional Partner
The assignment is expected to last 13 months.
The kick-off meeting was attended by the representatives of the Transport Community Permanent Secretariat and CONNECTA Team.
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Additional information on the assignment can be obtained by contacting Giorgos Xanthakos, CONNECTA Deputy Team Leader, at email@example.com.